Re: Realtime raytracing

One of the design requirements for WebGPU is that it maps well to each of the platform APIs: Metal, Direct3D, and Vulkan. Metal has MPS[1] for ray tracing, Direct3D has D3D12_RAYTRACING[2], and Vulkan has VK_NV_ray_tracing[3]. Any solution would probably have to work on top of those APIs.

Presumably, any solution would either need a compute shader fallback for the systems that don’t work with the above mechanisms, or support of ray tracing at all will be optional, and applications can implement their own fallback (or just live without it).

[1] https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metalperformanceshaders/metal_for_accelerating_ray_tracing
[2] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3d12/direct3d-12-raytracing
[3] https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/html/vkspec.html#VK_NV_ray_tracing