Re: Shader security model discussions: breaking it down?

OpenCL kernels as well as other languages that can be compiled to SPIRV can be reused by Vulkan.

--mike

________________________________
From: Kai Ninomiya <kainino@google.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:47:56 PM
To: public-gpu@w3.org
Subject: Re: Shader security model discussions: breaking it down?

A few more things relevant to both forks of this thread. Corentin pointed me to a few things:
* This is the extension for variable pointers that John talked about at the meeting:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/spir-v/extensions/KHR/SPV_KHR_variable_pointers.html
* In addition to logical addressing, Vulkan also requires that SPIR-V programs not contain cycles (Vulkan 1.0 appendix A). So I misspoke about inlinability - it is indeed one of our constraints and it's one we probably can't avoid because it's required by Vulkan.

A consequence, IIUC, is that with logical addressing, without cycles, without variable pointers, it must be statically determinable which buffer a load instruction loads from. (Branches can/must be used to work around this.)