Re: [DCAT] dcat:mediaType use .

> On 30 Oct 2013, at 10:08, Ghislain Atemezing <auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Fadi, all
>
> While looking at the basic example in the spec [1], I have a small question on the use of dcat:mediaType.
> The example said:
>
> [[ :dataset-001-csv
>       a dcat:Distribution ;
>       dcat:downloadURL <http://www.example.org/files/001.csv> ;
>       dct:title "CSV distribution of imaginary dataset 001" ;
>       dcat:mediaType "text/csv" ;
>       dcat:byteSize "5120"^^xsd:decimal ;
>       .
> ]]
>
> Since the range of dcat:mediaType is dct:MediaTypeOrExtent, I would have expected having something like
>  [[
>     dcat:mediaType [ a dct:MediaTypeOrExtent; rdfs:label "text/csv" ;
>   ]]
>
> Am I wrong?

For all we know, dctype:MediaTypeOrExtent could be a datatype that includes a subset of xsd:string.

The range declaration seems to be there simply because it's inherited from dct:format. I'd rather get rid of that subproperty assertion than using the pointless blank node.

> At the same time, I came across this resource of some registered formats at W3C namespace http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/. Yes, W3C!! Could it be possible to "recommend" somehow to the publishers the use of those uris in the spec? So for example, if a distribution is in Turtle, we would have
>    [[ dcat:mediaType <http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/Turtle> ]]
>
> WDYT ?

The problem with Ivan's format identifiers is that they only cover a handful of formats. Recommending the use of a particular list of identifiers that doesn't include CSV will make life not easier but more complicated for most implementers, I think.

Best,
Richard