Re: PLEASE VOTE on publishing BP

Hi Makx,

On Dec 19, 2013, at 6:56 AM, "Makx Dekkers" <mail@makxdekkers.com> wrote:

> I am looking at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/4dbafa673d70/bp/index.html version 18 December.
>
> I am afraid I have to vote NO to the proposal.
>
> Summarising the main points of my earlier message to the list:
>
> ·         Section 3, under the heading Provide Basic Metadata, implies that basic metadata must include MIME type, publishing organization and/or agency, creation date, modification date, version, frequency of updates, contact email for the data steward(s). First of all, this list is only relevant for things like documents and data sets, not for things like people and countries; secondly, even for documents and datasets not all those properties may be relevant or known. Putting this list as such in a BP document is confusing.

Thank you for the pointing out the issues posed by the language in section 3 & offering proposed wording.  I submit also that "must" should change to a "should" and append, "wherever possible."

> ·         Section 8 does not mention direct URI resolution (follow-your-nose). Not including this in the BP document is a show-stopper for me.

You are quite right to point out (again) re: section 8 issue in relation to follow your nose.  We should have caught that one & it was my error -- an oversight in the last editing round.

> In addition, the new section 3 Model the Data has a highlighted note that says that “we highlight how Linked Data modeling differs from the traditional relational data modeling approach”, while the text under the note does not do that – it just says which kinds of people are needed to do the modelling.

Same is true for #3 - Model the Data.  I'd hoped to extend this section but felt constrained to not introduce significant new content due to the pending deadline.  Modeling is an important step but we the editors didn't elaborate sufficiently.

> One other issue that I just noted (and overlooked in the previous version) is that the BP document refers tolexvo.org as a stable collection of URIs for languages. However, a set of authoritative URIs for languages are maintained by the official registration authority of ISO639-2, the US Library of Congress. Use of those URIs is recommended by DCAT, so it seems to me that the BP document should at least mention that URI collection.

Thanks for catching the authoritative URIs for languages and yes, if the editors are permitted to fix it, we will.

I defer to our W3 staff contact as to whether we can make this change pending the outcome of the vote and potential publication in January 2014 (we've definitely missed the cut off date for publication in 2013 (that was Tuesday 17-Dec).

> I still have quibbles with some of the wording, as noted in my previous message, but those are really minor.

Thank you again,
Bernadette Hyland