Re: Vocabulary conformance template

OK, let me go back to that proposal.

Yes, I see the value in saying that specifically a data catalogue that
conforms if certain conditions are met.

[[
A data catalog conforms to DCAT if:

* It is organized into [[datasets]] and [[distributions]].

+1

* An [[RDF description]] of the catalog itself and its datasets and
distributions is available (but the choice of RDF syntaxes, access
protocols, and access policies is not mandated by this specification).

+1

* The contents of all metadata fields that are held in the catalog, and
that contain data about the catalog itself and its dataset and
distributions, are included in this RDF description, expressed using the
appropriate classes and properties from DCAT, except where no such class
or property exists.

This is rather wordy and I think it can be clarified and split in two:

* The metadata concerning the catalog, its datasets and distributions is
expressed using the appropriate classes and properties from DCAT.

* terms from other vocabularies are not used *instead* of ones defined
in DCAT that could reasonably be used (use of such terms in *addition*
to DCAT terms is permissible).

Incidentally, if I misunderstood your meaning in the original then I
offer that as evidence that it needs clarification ;-)

Back to your original

* All classes and properties defined in DCAT are used in a way
consistent with the semantics declared in this specification.

+1

DCAT-compliant catalogs MAY include additional non-DCAT metadata fields
and additional RDF data in the catalog's RDF description.

-1

Not necessary as we've covered that in the earlier clarification.

+1 from here on.

A *DCAT profile* is a specification for data catalogs that adds
additional constraints to DCAT. A data catalog that conforms to the
profile also conforms to DCAT. Additional constraints in a profile MAY
include:

* A minimum set of required metadata fields
* Classes and properties for additional metadata fields not covered in DCAT
* Controlled vocabularies or URI sets as acceptable values for properties
* Requirements for specific access mechanisms (RDF syntaxes, protocols)
to the catalog's RDF description
]]

--

Phil Archer