Re: W3C GLD-WG Thur 03-May-2012

Alas, I must send my regrets, as I am in Paris and I cannot break away
from my meetings here to dial in. C'est la vie...

The only pressing issue (which could turn into an ISSUE) is that of
naming of the draft; the question has been raised out-of-band
regarding the persistence of the "DCAT" brand now through at least
three manifestations; whether maintaining that branding is
appropriate; and should anything be done, via naming and otherwise, to
explicitly distinguish the W3C DCAT work from prior DCAT work (which
had no official status).

Minimally, there is a dis-ambiguation problem: on the Web there is
DERI DCAT, old W3C DCAT, and W3C GLD WG DCAT. Perhaps more insidious,
there are downstream potential political ramifications due to the
(apparent) precedent of W3C "adopting" an existing "spec." That has
not really been the case with DCAT, but downstream some contributing
party to a future recommendation might want their cleverly-branded
naming to stick and might cite DCAT as a case (somehow).

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations