From: Phil Archer [mailto:phila@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:02 AM
To: Bart van Leeuwen
Cc: Government Linked Data Working Group WG
Subject: Re: Components of street addresses

Bart, hi,

This is very interesting as it touches on work I'm doing with the
Commission on core vocabularies. We're close to publishing a draft for
review that includes address representation, work lead by the folks who
are coordinating the INSPIRE work and that includes input from people
working on a new ISO standard for this (ISO/WD 19160-1). There already
is a complete and endorsed INSPIRE Guideline [1] which is comprehensive.
add in the Universal Postal Union's S42 standard and we're not short of
standards for address representation.

However... I understand that even within a given country there are
almost always examples of addresses that don't conform to the standard.
It's a mess and probably always will be.

The approach you're taking, with a street as a resource, sounds as if it
just might match the INSPIRE model. They have:

locator,
thoroughfare name,
address area name,
postal descriptor,
administrative unit,
Address representation.

The last of these is "write the address as a string you can print on a
label" just like vCard. The first two though are the kind of thing you
mention with the locator - the specific door number - being separate
from the thoroughfare name.

Let's make sure we have time to talk about this in Galway next week as
meeting your use case will be important evidence that we've done it right.

Cheers

Phil.

[1]
http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Data_Specifications/INSPIRE_DataSpecification_AD_v3.0.1.pdf