Re: How can I declare that the coordinates I publish are only approximations?

From: Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:12:25 +0200
To: public-geosemweb@w3.org
Hello Lars,

Aren't all coordinates in geographical data sets approximations?

I think the right thing to do is to use the appropriate amount of
significant digits <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures>
for the coordinates. Is it possible for you to quantify the amount of
approximation?

Regards,
Frans

On 12-9-2013 13:16, Svensson, Lars wrote:
> All,
>
> A few months ago I asked for advice on how to represent coordinates for maps and got very valuable insights. Now I have a related question: When libraries and archives digitise historic maps they also create metadata for them, including a best-effort attempt to determine the map's geographic coverage. It goes without saying that the determined coordinates are mere approximations. When we publish that data in RDF, is there a way to express in geosparql (or WKT) that the specified coordinates are only approximations? I looked in the geosparql vocabulary and WKT but could not find any information.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lars

*Geodan*
President Kennedylaan 1