Re: Looking for a vocabulary for NUTS and LAU

Hi Frans,

On 28/02/13 10:21, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:
> I have tried to explain in the first message of this thread, but I will
> try to elaborate.
>
> What I think would be nice to have is a vocabulary that
> 1) explains what NUTS and LAU levels are (in all EU languages)

DBpedia would have a description for NUTS [1] in various languages,
probably also for LAU.

> 2) Provides national equivalents of those levels (like this table
> <http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/nuts_nomenclature/correspondence_tables/national_structures_eu>
> does).
>
> Such a general vocabulary could be used to enrich datasets describing
> national administrative subdivisions and make it easier to link them.

I guess LAU would be too fine grained - note that we don't have
the LAU1(NUTS4)/LAU2(NUTS5) levels in [2], and only up to "level 4"
in GADM (e.g., [3]).

Properties that I currently know that encode administrative
levels (with integers as range) are:

* http://rdfdata.eionet.europa.eu/ramon/ontology/level
* http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/ramon/ontologies/geographic.rdf#level
* http://gadm.geovocab.org/ontology#level

Geonames has some properties for relating a Feature to their PPi
Features in higher levels:

* http://www.geonames.org/ontology#parentADM1
* http://www.geonames.org/ontology#parentADM2
* http://www.geonames.org/ontology#parentADM3
* http://www.geonames.org/ontology#parentADM4

> Does this make sense?

Yep, clearer now.  A small vocabulary with a few properties and classes
would be nifty.

Cheers,
Andreas.

[1]