Re: Incorrect IP Geolocation

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:34:54 +0200, Ryan Masciovecchio <ryanm@aareas.com>
wrote:

> Charles, you told me W3C does not keep an internal database of these
> geolocations.  And that organizations use an internal database of wifi
> >routers.  Do you mean the wifi access point in our office is giving off
> some sort of information that it’s from London?  It’s a dedicated
> >access point not built into any router and has been in our office for
> 5+ years now

No, but it sends out an identifier. When people know where they are (e.g.
through GPS, or manual tracking of their location) and pick up a
signalfrom your wifi point, they can add it to a database.

Using triangulation, they should be able to get a pretty accurate fix on
it if they want one. But equally, with so many wifi points in the world,
there is plenty of scope for getting a location wrong from time to time.

Cheers