AW: GeoLocation API: 1. Source type of information / 2. Information from specific source type

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply - we really appreciate to get in contact with you.

The source type of the GeoLocation information doesn't have to be a single source information.
We can image an array of sources, which contribute to the general GeoLocation information. Of course it would be beneficial to get the information which source has the highest impact.

In our use case we need as precise location information as possible.
The location information is used as:

·         a starting point to zoom to a certain area of interest - the accuracy should be between 5m to 20m. Afterwards the user has to digitize point objects (trees, lamp post, manhole,...) in his area without the need for any further map interactions (Pan, ZoomIn, ZoomOut). Alternatively the user has to update parameters for existing objects in his surroundings without any further map interactions, means the users has to be in the correct map extent and map scale. The user should have just to click on an existing object on the map, which is next to him in real life to proceed with updating object parameter.

·         an input parameter for positioning (accuracy 3m to 6m) new or shifted objects, which do not require high precision position information (accuracy below 0.5m) .

Currently we wonder if the GPS receiver of the underlying hardware is used at all.

When benchmarking the Geolocation API location accuracy (using a web page running in IE10/11) against the native GPS receiver location accuracy referencing a well known lat/lon position we found out remarkable differences

*         Geolocation API accuracy 15m-75m

*         GPS Accuracy 2m-3m
i.e. accuracy differs by factor 10 roughly.

This leads to the reason why we issued question Nr. 2 "Information from specific source type": It would be great if the level of control using the Geolocation API could be increased by specifying explicitly the desired source.. We could fetch the location until we get an information explicitly from the GPS hardware.

Best Regards,
Josef Prandstetter