Re: Spec update: deviceorientation event should fire when listener is first registered

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Wojciech Masłowski
<wmaslowski@opera.com> wrote:
> W dniu 2011-07-12 15:17, Dean Jackson pisze:
>>
>> On 12/07/2011, at 9:50 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>> You could follow a similar design to http://www.whatwg.org/C#messageport
>>> that does have special handling for onmessage (or here ondeviceorientation),
>>> but not for addEventListener(). If you want to use addEventListener() you
>>> would have to invoke start().
>>>
>>> The problem is that addEventListener() is supposed to be orthogonal to
>>> all this. We could change that, but I am not convinced it is a good idea.
>>
>> I tend to agree with Anne here. We shouldn't change the understood
>> behaviour of addEventListener(). If you really need an event to be fired,
>> then we should expose a mechanism specifically for that.
>>
>> Dean
>>
> Tbh I wouldn't be that religious about it. Requiring browser to fire an
> event after registering a handler solves the problem of registering a
> handler to a non-moving device and doesn't have any specific negative
> implications. Any other solution would mean complicating the API by adding
> some method to force firing of orientation event or in other way getting
> current orientation. From developer point of view it is also simpler this
> way because any other solution forces him to treat initial position as a
> special case.

Exactly. IMHO the goal should be to make the developer's life as easy
as possible.

I also think making ondeviceorientation behave differently to
addEventListener() is somewhat unexpected and therefore not a
precedent to be followed?

Thanks,
Andrei