Re: Speed, heading and elevation graphic

Hi Steve,

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Steve Block <steveblock@google.com> wrote:
> I haven't found a generally accepted term for this angle when applied
> to a velocity.

Yes, same for me. That "elevation" angle is not normally used to
describe the velocity vector in cartography.

I have found that the speed vector is normally converted to ground
speed/heading and vertical speed. Ground speed is the projection over
the local tangent plane (LTP).

After reading this publication
(http://web.math.hr/~rogina/cartography.pdf) I would suggest using
something similar to this nomenclature:
- Speed: projection of the velocity vector over the local tangent
plane (LTP). Could be decomposed into Vnorth and Veast.
- Heading: orientation angle of the speed vector (the same we have in
the current version of the spec)
- Vdown (or Vup): vertical speed, being positive downwards (or upwards).

I am going to draw a new graph with this info.
Regards,
Angel