Re: Additional security and privacy considerations?

On 26 May 2009, at 19:33, Andrei Popescu wrote:

>> So, let's take a step back here.
>>
>> Are you objecting against having *any* privacy considerations in
>> the spec?
>>  Or are you objecting against having a MUST in normative language?
>>
>> As I said early on in this thread, I could live with text along the
>> lines of
>> what I proposed included as non-normative implementation guidance
>> (or a
>> "strong should", or something like that), distinct from conformance
>> requirements, *if* that helps to get clear guidance on privacy into
>> the
>> specification. It was Andrei who brought up the point that the
>> privacy
>> considerations are currently meant to be normative.
>>
>> Care to elaborate?
>>

> My impression is that the existing wording (location permissions must
> not be granted without user consent and users must be able to revoke
> sticky permissions) was agreed by everyone and are normative. What we
> are discussing here are the extensions you suggested:
>
> 1. User agents must inform the user when Web applications acquire
> location information based on a consent granted previously.
> 2. User agents should limit the scope of authorizations in time by
> asking for re-authorization in certain intervals.

These extensions can be discussed as:

1. Normative language with a MUST (which I'm seeing opposition against)
2. Normative language with a SHOULD (which I saw Hixie and Lars Erik
suggest earlier)
3. Non-normative guidance (which I'd be willing to accept, as I said
earlier; in that case, I'd like to re-add the examples and elaborate a
bit more on the text)

My question is whether there is opposition against 2 or 3.