Re: Civic Address for V2

> I do not think we have any use cases that require comparing addresses
> for equality.  We clearly did not for the v1 addressing (coords).

Neither of these statements is really true, if you think about it.

For example, there is a use case for providing information relevant to
the user's current location (e.g., PoI information).  To make that work,
you need to compare the user's current location with some description of
a region in which a piece of information is relevant.  For geodetic
coordinates, that can be a polygon, "Return everything within 500m of
the target".  In civic coordinates, you need the extra semantics so that
you can say things like, "Return everything in the same region" or
"Return everything on the same street".  That stuff doesn't work with
aggregated addressing, where regions and streets aren't specifically tagged.

The doc specifies (as it should!) that the coordinates MUST reference
the WGS84 coordinate reference system --  precisely so that locations
can be compared to one another.

> Secondly, we are not designing this API for someone like your or me or
> anyone on this mailing list that can understand thirty+ fields...

I appreciate the need for simplicity.  However, based on the input we
got in GEOPRIV from organizations that deal with addresses in
mission-critical applications (especially NENA, who do 9-1-1 standards),
the RFC 4119 format is about as simple as the format can be made and
still map sensibly to authoritative address sources, even just in the US.

(If you want to see a complex representation, check out xAL:
<>)

Cheers,
--Richard