Re: PositionOptions.timeout & UserAgent permission

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:44:38 +0000
To: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Cc: Greg Bolsinga <bolsinga@apple.com>, public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>
Yeah, I was just about to say that I also disagree with myself :) We
also have the following example in the spec:

// Request a position. We only accept cached positions whose age is not
// greater than 10 minutes. If the User Agent does not have a fresh
// enough cached position object, it will immediately invoke the error
// callback.
navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(successCallback,
                                                           errorCallback,

{maximumAge:600000, timeout:0});

(...)

// By using a 'timeout' of 0 milliseconds, if there is
// no suitable cached position available, the User Agent
// will immediately invoke the error callback with code
// TIMEOUT and will not initiate a new position

So if we remove timeout, then we'd have to add some other
PositionOption property to cover this usecase (e.g. bool
cachedPositionOnly ?)

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com> wrote:
> however, i still think the implementations should take the timeout starting
> point to mean "after the user has granted permission" for many reasons, one
> being this can not be emulated by window.setTimeout.

Ok...but I'm still struggling to find an example where this behavior
would be useful. Do you have a concrete example?