Re: geolocation privacy statement strawman

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:49:37 -0700
To: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Cc: public-geolocation@w3.org
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the proposal. I think it's a very good start. I have a
couple of questions, too:

>  All permissions should be revocable, and applications should respect revoked permissions.

I'm not sure what you meant by this exactly. The application would
simply stop receiving the location data if the user has revoked the
permission using the UA's interface, so I don't think the application
has a choice (whether to respect or not the revoked permissions). Or
am I misunderstanding this statement?

> Recipient of location information should retain location information only as long as required.

I agree with Henning, we could be more explicit here. Perhaps we could
encourage Web sites to inform the users about how long they plan to
store their location?