From: Andrei Popescu [mailto:andreip@google.com]
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 11:47 AM
To: Alec Berntson
Cc: public-geolocation@w3.org
Subject: Re: Civic Address for V2

Hi Alec,

Many thanks for the proposal, I like it!

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Alec Berntson
<alecb@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    As per my Action Item from the December F2F meeting, I'd like to put
> forth a proposal for Civic Address Support in V2.
>

> Civic Address support will be surfaced by including an additional object in
> the Position object next to the cords object. For Example:
>

> interface Position {
>
>     readonly attribute Coordinates coords;
>
>     readonly attribute DOMTimeStamp timestamp;
>
>     readonly attribute CivicAddress addr; // <-this is how it will be added

I was wondering if the prefix 'civic' adds any value? How about simply
'address'?

>   };
>

> 1.       The contents of the CivicAddress Object
>
> a.       I propose we use the same fields as the CivicAddressReport in the
> Windows 7 Location API. These fields work internationally and have no
> geopolitical issues. They are sufficiently expressive to cover virtually any
> address that would be used in practice.
>
>                                                                i.
> Address1
>
>                                                              ii.
> Address2
>
>                                                             iii.      City
>
>                                                            iv.
> PostalCode
>
>                                                              v.
> StateProvince
>
>                                                            vi.
> CountryRegion

In Gears we have a similar format.

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/api_geolocation.html#address

The main difference is that we have 'Street' and 'StreetNumber'
instead of 'Address1' and 'Address2'.

We also have a couple of extra fields:

- premises - building name or place name (e.g. "Google HQ")
- country code (ISO 3166-1)

Did you consider those?

Thanks,
Andrei