Re: Intended usage notification

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>
>> In the end, we cannot force services to offer meaningful information, so
>> if this is truly useless, we're no worse off
>
> Again, we are worse off -- we are having the browser (something completely
> trusted by the user), present text which can clearly lie.
>

> Because of these issues, UAs are bot going to want to implement this.
>  Furthermore, websites can already present content that explains why they
> need to get the location from the user.

+1. I understand that putting the explanatory text into the browser's
permission dialog widget may provide more context for the user's
decision but the risk outweighs the advantage, IMHO.

Note that in our privacy section we strongly encourage web sites to
disclose this information anyway. The proposed wording (thanks to
Alissa and others) is

"Recipients must clearly and conspicuously disclose the fact that they
are collecting location data, the purpose for the collection (...)"

Please see

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2009Apr/0036.html

for the full discussion.

Thanks,