Re: renaming enableHighAccuracy

Hi Andrei,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:

> In general, if you don't care about this issue or you want the best
> results you can get, you can just use the API with its defaults
> values. For those cases where you think the usage of this API may be
> detrimental to the user experience (e.g. by draining a phone's battery
> and preventing the user from making phone calls), I feel that this
> attribute may be useful.

Yes, but suppose that you are using a web application requiring high
accuracy location while you are indoors. In this case, the UA will
switch the GPS on trying to find satellites maybe for minutes, all
that resulting in a useless waste of time and battery.

> I understand extremely well that we're designing a much higher-level
> API than any of the above, but I think having a simple boolean
> attribute offers quite a bit of value with very little cost. But ok,
> if the majority of the people disagree, we'll take it out. But before
> that, can you please summarize the main reasons why you don't want
> this in the API (perhaps other than "devices will get better in XYZ
> years") ?

The parameter could be useful but I think that this discussion is
mainly about who controls the location hardware to be used: developers
or users.... or both.

Maybe developers writing applications with the Location APIs you
posted (iPhone and Android)  use these accuracy options to build UIs
allowing users to manually set them to the value they prefer.

Cheers,

Angel