Re: wording for the privacy section

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, John Morris wrote:

> According to the charter, the objective of this WG is "to define a
> SECURE AND PRIVACY-SENSITIVE INTERFACE for using client-side location
> information in location-aware Web applications."  To simply assert in a
> spec that any implementation MUST take privacy into account while being
> silent on HOW to do so accomplishes nothing, and will do absolutely
> nothing to change the norm - which is to wholly ignore privacy.

I think what we need is an API that is the JS equivalent of the API in the
iPhone OS stack, which is privacy-sensitive in exactly the same opaque
way. Do you think that the iPhone implementation is insecure?

> [...] the output of [the geopriv] group is a standard that seeks to
> FORCE developers to deal directly with privacy (or to consciously choose
> to ignore privacy by ignoring an essential element of the IETF
> standard).

Having the developers have to worry about privacy is a lost cause, IMHO,
especially in the Web space where the developers are actively hostile in
many cases. Much better to put this in the hands of the user, under the
control of the user agent. The UA is trusted software already, and there
are very few UA implementors relative to the number of site implementors,
so it is far easier to get it right at that level.