RE: wording for the privacy section

Hi Jon,

I have to strongly disagree with your comments.  I think that the text is a good start.  It provides the most elementary privacy protection: opt-in.

If you want to settle for loose wording or vague statements with no teeth, you have underestimated how seriously people take privacy for location.

If your concern is user annoyance, there are many different ways of obtaining permission.  The text does not imply any particular method.  For instance, gaining long term permission is as simple as providing a checkbox with a “Remember my decision” label.  If you are concerned about a specific application gaining permission, then such permission can be a condition on installation.

OMA or OMTP are inappropriate forums to push the work to.  By failing to address these concerns in the W3C, by producing an incomplete specification, there is a greater chance of the specification failing.  There’s more to be done here, not pushed off.  P3P currently doesn’t  do location properly, for instance.  Besides, to categorize this standard as applicable only to mobile devices is short sighted.  I refer you to introduction of [1].

Regards,

Martin

[1] http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/geolocation-in-firefox-and-beyond/