Re: PositionError - DOMString message

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:50:31 +0100
To: "Doug Turner" <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Cc: public-geolocation <public-geolocation@w3.org>

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the message attribute on the position error was
> suppose to be for debugging purposes.  However, it was brought up that this
> message may be displayed to the user.  Should this string be localized?
>  Should we change the draft spec to suggest that this string is localized
> and can be displayed to the user?

Hmm, not sure. I think most implementations will end up using
different strings. If those strings are shown to the user, then the
error messages that the user sees will be quite technical and will
also look different depending on the UA that she is happening to be
using at the time, which may be somewhat confusing. I'm thinking that
the applications that use the Geo API are in a better position to
handle the UI for the error situations, so we should not encourage
them to just print out the API error messages.