Re: Drop lastPosition from Geolocation?

On Nov 18, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Doug Turner wrote:

> Instead, I think we can do something different and both have a
> asynchronous API and get the last position the browser saw by adding
> a new PositionOption:
>

> interface PositionOptions {
>    attribute unsigned long modifiedSince;
>  };
>

> The modifiedSince value specified in (seconds provides a hint that
> the application would like a cached position as so long as it has
> been updated within the time specified.  If the UA does not have a
> cached position, the modifiedSince option will be ignored.

Is this time 'age', as in the Position is at least "modifiedSince"
seconds old?

An alternative could be if the UA can't provide a position within the
PositionOptions timeout parameter, it will return the last position
obtained by the UA, across all pages? This would need a flag supplied
to let the developer know they are getting potentially stale data.
Perhaps this can be a Position field in the PositionError that is
lastPosition, only set when the error code is TIMEOUT?

-- Greg