Re: Drop lastPosition from Geolocation?

After thinking about this a bit and discussing it with a few people, I
think we need some way to get the "last position the UA saw".  Some
geolocation providers, such as wifi->location require a round trip
from the UA to the a server.  This could have a significant latency,
and really hurt many web applications.

It is my position that we should not have synchronous API because
building a security UI around such a system doesn't work.  This was
the core reason I suggested dropping lastPosition.

Instead, I think we can do something different and both have a
asynchronous API and get the last position the browser saw by adding a
new PositionOption:

interface PositionOptions {
     attribute unsigned long modifiedSince;
   };

The modifiedSince value specified in (seconds provides a hint that the
application would like a cached position as so long as it has been
updated within the time specified.  If the UA does not have a cached
position, the modifiedSince option will be ignored.

Thoughts?

Doug Turner