Re: Drop lastPosition from Geolocation?

On Nov 18, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> It is my position that we should not have synchronous API because
>> building a
>> security UI around such a system doesn't work.  This was the core
>> reason I
>> suggested dropping lastPosition.
>
> If the app doesn't have permission to use the Goelocation API, then
> just return null. The next thing the developer will probably try to do
> with be to call getCurrentPosition(), which will trigger the UI.

I think just using getCurrentPosition, with the modifiedSince option,
is going to make you js code a bunch simpler -- you will only have one
code path.

> From the developer's point of view the difference between "there is no
> last known position" and "there is no last known position because you
> don't have access to position information" is not really relevant, is
> it?

Not sure I agree.  When we were doing stuff with xpinstall -
developers like the option of getting the "user doesn't have
permission to install" because they could then display some UI showing
a user how to enable xpinstall.  You probably could do the same thing
here -- if the user doesn't have permission, you might be able to show
them how to enable geolocation.

Doug