Re: What about Reverse Geocoding?

Andrei,

Discussion of how you populate a civic address field is completely
separate from the format of the field itself.  Just because we've got a
lat/long in the current version doesn't mean we have to say how a
location provider uses GPS, right?  The point of this API is just to
provide access to whatever location is there, not to specify how to get
it.  How the location gets there (into the browser) is up to the
location provider.

If you're curious though, by and large civic location has to be manually
configured or reverse-geocoded.  The IETF networks at the last few IETF
meetings have been location-enabled, and we've provided civic addresses
(down to an individual room) corresponding to the 802.11 AP that a
client is connected to.  This is a good example of a case where civic is
a lot easier to use that geodetic -- it would have been a huge pain to
set up any sort of geodetic positions for APs.

As far as the syntax I was suggesting, I was imagining a compound
position object, for example:
interface Position {
	readonly attribute Geodetic geodetic;
	readonly attribute Civic civic;
	readonly attribuet UsageRules rules
}
(This is what a Position looks like in the current HELD location
provider.)  A client would then get civic information like I showed
before, geodetic information with something like
"loc.geodetic.latitude", rules with something like
"loc.rules.retransmissionAllowed".

Cheers,
--Richard