Re: GEOPRIV and the W3C Geolocation API

On the contrary, the point of APIs being compatible with RFCs is to
minimize "transcoding" between two standards.  The API specifies the
formats and interactions within a host, and the RFC specifies what
formats and interactions on the wire.

If it's going to use network services, the code that implements the API
has to think in API terms on one side and in RFC terms on the other.  If
these are dramatically different (say, if the email API wanted addresses
as images for anti-spam purposes), then the API has to translate.  The
point of making the API compatible with the RFC is to make this
translation easy.

If you know that you're going to have code that has a particular
protocol on the back end, then having APIs that match up well against
the corresponding RFCs minimizes the risk of mis-interpretation and
makes interoperability easier.  In this case, given that GEOPRIV
protocols are the Internet standard protocols for a host to acquire
location, it's very likely that code will want to use them on the back
end, so it makes sense for the API to be compatible with them.

--Richard