Re: [fxtf-drafts] filter should be defined to establish a containing block for fixed and absolutely positioned elements

From: Dirk Schulze via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 15:51:58 +0000
To: public-fxtf-archive@w3.org
@mstange @dbaron @chrishtr @dholbert @bzbarsky To summarize: The CSS WG resolution stands: filters should establish containing blocks for abspos and fixpos with the exception of the root element (outermost root element in SVG terms).

The viewport is defined as a region and is no content itself nor does it describe a surface. The canvas is a (theoretically) infinite (unbound) drawing surface. We never filter regions but filters or filtered content might get clipped to regions. So I am not sure if the specification actually needs to differ between the filtered "canvas" or filtered "viewport".
In fact, I am not sure if we even need to reference the term "canvas". IMO all that is needed is the exception for: "The outermost document root element in the current document context."
* I am not sure if HTML/CSS has a term for "root" element that applies to SVG as well.

I welcome better prose proposal. :)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dirkschulze
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/11#issuecomment-352039660 using your GitHub account