Re: [css-masking] Should clip-path/mask be clipped/scaled to the owning element?

On 12/20/16, 12:30 PM, "Stephen Mcgruer" <smcgruer@chromium.org> wrote:

> I cannot find anywhere in the spec that specifies whether
> a clip-path/mask should be clipped or scaled to the owning
> element or not.

See the mask-clip property, which defaults to the border box. You can play around with the values to see how it affects the mask painting area (though it looks like the no-clip value isn't implemented in Chrome).

> It is unclear to me why these behaviors were chosen
> (i.e. why let one escape the bounds but not the other).

I don't recall why masks and clip-paths behave differently.

Thanks,

Alan