Re: [css-transforms] CSS3D breaks with opacity flattening

From: Matt Woodrow <mwoodrow@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 22:53:54 +1200
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Tien-Ren Chen <trchen@chromium.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, /#!/JoePea <trusktr@gmail.com>, Chris Harrelson <chrishtr@google.com>, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>

On 22/09/16 9:00 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> I think you just showed that Matt's proposal can be emulated with the
> current spec.

I don't think this is true. Firstly, this example still wasn't as good
as I think mine could be. Secondly, it requires complex matrix
manipulation by the author, which basically rules out
animations/transitions.

> Given that:
>
>   * this is shipping in Chrome [1]
>   * Safari committed to support it [2]
>   * Edge is in favor  [3]
>   * Firefox has already implemented it [4]
>   * your new proposal is more complex to implement and hard to understand
>   * your new proposal can be emulated

I agreed (and changed Firefox) under the assumption that little to no
web content would be affected.

This thread was started by an author who's content was broken, so it
seems reasonable to re-visit these assumptions.

- Matt