Re: [filter-effects-2] Split functionality of 'filter' and 'backdrop-filter' into several properties

On 9 February 2016 at 03:18, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Sebastian Zartner
> <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 February 2016 at 09:28, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Implementing ::backdrop for every element would be pretty hard for us and
>>> not something I'd want to do.
>>

>> Can you elaborate on this?
>

> ::backdrop only applies to "top layer" elements so there's some
> special-casing we can do to simplify the layout and rendering of ::backdrop.
> If you allow ::backdrop on non-top-layer elements then it can appear
> anywhere.

Yes, that was the point here. I'd like the new properties I proposed
to apply everywhere and get rid of ::backdrop.

>> And would it generally be hard to implement or only for Mozilla?
>
> I don't know.

That question was actually directed to the other UA implementors. :-)

>> And if it's generally hard to implement, let's discuss another solution.
>> And what about the other parts of the suggested approach?
>
> I guess I don't understand why we need backdrop-filter at all. Why can't
> authors use BackgroundImage with the 'filter' property to get the same
> effects? Is it because they'd have to use SVG filters and a standalone CSS
> property is easier to use?

I think so. It was the same reasoning for introducing the filter
functions to CSS, right?

Side note: If I'm not mistaken, also, because no browser (also
Inkscape, don't know about other UAs) supports BackgroundImage
(correctly) at the moment.

Sebastian