Re: [web-animations] Ordering animations based on when they transition from idle

On 2015/07/09 11:30, Shane Stephens wrote:

>     I wonder if this proposal is a little bit odd in that we have the
>     following two cases:
>
>     a) var anim = new CSSAnimation(...);
>          anim.play();
>
>     b) elem.style.animation = "...";
>          var anim = elem.getAnimations()[0];
>          elem.style.animation = "";
>          anim.play();
>
>     In (a), the priority of anim is based on when the ctor is called but in
>     (b) the priority of anim is based on when play() is called.
>
>     Would it be more consistent to say that the priority of all
>     script-generated animations is based on their first transition from
>     idle? And for repurposed CSS animations it is their first transition
>     from idle after being disowned by CSS?
>

> Yes, there would be more consistency between these two cases. I think
> that consistency here is less important than simple ordering semantics
> that are separable from playback, though. (As that's what started this
> discussion, we've already covered this in some detail, but let me know
> if you want me to make the case for why creation ordering is better than
> play() ordering again)

I think that would be good. I'm afraid I can't quite remember why
creation ordering is better or why this proposal is better. I'm not
opposed to it but I'd like to give others a chance to check it over too.

Would you mind writing quick summary of the proposal with rationale for
those who haven't been following this thread? (And to that end, starting
a new thread might be better.)

Thanks!

Brian