Re: [geometry] Dictionary argument for DOMQuad constructor

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> It is useful to be able to use a straight JS object as a rect. I think it
> would be good for Web developers to consistently support dictionary types
> instead of supporting them in some places but require an object of the
> proper interface in other places.

Hmm. If we apply that consistency strictly, then we're not going to use
interface types as parameters anywhere, correct?

I'm not sure we should do that. It makes overloading impossible unless we
make large changes to WebIDL. It also has performance implications: passing
a DOMRectReadOnly as a DOMRectInit parameter naively requires unpacking to
a JS object and then repacking to a DOMRectInit. We could optimize that but
it's a significant amount of work that nobody's done yet AFAIK.

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:13:04 +0100, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
>  And FWIW we implemented that because it's what the spec used to say:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-geometry-1-20140522/#DOMQuad
>>

> Yes. That's why I ask if you're OK with the proposed change. :-)

I'll go along with it if everyone decides it's the right thing to do. I'm
not convinced yet.

Rob
owohooo
oioso