Re: [web-animations] confusing picture for player limiting behavior

From: Aleksei Semenov <a.semenov@unipro.ru>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:06:58 +0600
To: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>, "Brian Birtles" <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Cc: "dom@unipro.ru" <dom@unipro.ru>
Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> писал(а) в своём письме Wed, 18 Feb
2015 12:27:23 +0600:>>

>> The section '3.5.11. Reaching the end' describes the player behavior,
>> when it reaches its boundaries (either start or finish).
>> The section also contains a picture to demonstrate the effect of
>> limiting.
>> (Please, find it attached)
>> The description of the picture reads
>>> The effect of limiting the current time of a player with a start time
>>> of 1s,a source content of length 3s, and a positive player playback
>>> rate.After the current time of the player reaches the end of the
>>> source content, it is capped at 3s.
>>
>> I think the picture is not correct in the area, where timeline time is
>> before player start time.
>> First, the curve contains the arrow as if playback rate is negative, but
>> description states it is positive.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand this point. Why do you suggest the playback
> rate is negative? Timeline time and player time both increase and
> decrease in proportion. If the playback rate were negative the curve
> would slope in the opposite direction since an increase in timeline time
> would cause a decrease in player time.

The curve contains an arrow at each end.
In my opinion, the arrow corresponds to playback rate:
timeline time value always increase monotonically,
while player time value increase or decrease, depending on playback rate.
The arrows point in the opposite directions.
So I believe, the arrow corresponding to negative playback rate
do not match with picture description and is redundant and confusing.
It points to South-East on the picture.

Thanks,
Aleksei.