[web-animations] Animation groups and sequences have been moved to level 2

From: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:18:15 +0900
To: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
Dear all,

In the interests of iterating more quickly, the editors of the Web
Animations specification decided to defer the animation group and
animation sequence features from Web Animations to the next level of the
specification.[1]

We believe these grouping primitives are still very powerful and
important but that the first level of the specification should focus on
exposing the existing features of the platform.

Furthermore, we are keen to see more and more of the Web Animations API
ship this year which suggests we focus on stabilising the core features.

As a result, the current Editor's Draft[2] no longer includes animation
groups or animation sequences. However, we continue to build a level 2
specification[3] at the same time and from the same sources which
includes these features. We hope this means that level 2 can ship soon
after level 1.

At the same time, I have also moved the animation node-specific playback
rate to level 2. This is because it is of little use without groups and
is likely to confuse authors because there also exists a playback rate
on players. This was resolved last November 2014.[4]

It's quite possible that in the process of splitting the spec I've
introduced new bugs or that further simplifications are now possible.
Please feel free to file issues on the spec[5] as you notice them, or
report them here.

Best regards,

Brian

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-fx/2014AprJun/0119.html