Re: [compositing] isolation property should be renamed

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 03:54:19 +0100, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If all the isolation property does is create a stacking context [1][2]
>> then it seems like it should be called stacking-context: true to reveal
>> it's purpose,
>>

> Its purpose is not to create stacking context. It's designed to limit the
> backdrop for its children with blending.
> The fact that the spec says to do this using a stacking context, is for
> implementors; not authors.
>
> As Erik Dahlström noted, this property also applies to SVG which has no
> stacking contexts. [1]
>

>> otherwise we're just going to have blog posts about the "secret css
>> hacks"
>> to create stacking contexts using isolation: isolate as stacking
>> contexts
>> have all kinds of other side effects.
>>

> How would this be different from "will-change: transform;"?
> That creates a stacking context with the same side effects.
>

>> The property also does not seem to be specific to blending, and the
>> isolation naming is confusing given that there's talk of layout/style
>> isolation, bidi isolation, and now blend isolation.
>>

> It's meant to be used with blending and filters but as with many other
> properties, it has side effects.
>
> The next level of the spec will also reintroduce support for non-isolated
> blending. Since this is expensive, authors will be able to opt into this
> with this same property. Non-isolated blending will not introduce a
> stacking context.
>
> I agree that the name is somewhat confusing. We (= mailing list + css
> group) went over different options a couple of years ago and this was the
> one that we eventually settled on.
>
> 1:
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/WoLwgoPB-GE/LITzZ2ifVVsJ

Was having a 'blend-' prefix ever discussed (as in: blend-isolation)? I
couldn't find any mentions of it when searching through the w3
mailinglists.

Would 'blend-isolation' be an acceptable new name?

--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group