Re: [geometry] add DOMQuaternion?

On Aug 1, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2014 4:24 AM, "Mounir Lamouri" <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
> >
> > (bcc: public-geolocation@w3.org)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago, Tim Volodine offered a solution that would
> > significantly improve the developer experience with the
> > DeviceOrientaiton API [1]. The solution consists of exposing a
> > quaternion in order to represent the rotation instead of euler angles.
> >
> > It occurred to me that instead of having the Device Orientation
> > specification exposing Quaternions to the platform, it might be better
> > to include this in the Geometry specification. WDYT?
> >
> > [1]
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2014Jul/0023.html
>
> I think exposing quaternions would be pretty cool, but don't have a strong opinion on this.

It is definitely an interesting but specific proposal.

> However, if they're going to be exposed by some spec, I do think it's best to bundle it into Geometry.

I agree with Tab. I think it makes sense that the specification that makes use of DOMQuaternion (OrientationQuaternion in the original proposal) introduces it first. If it turns out to have a wider scope we can reconsider and add it to the next level of Geometry Interfaces instead. I would like to avoid adding new features to the current level of Geometry Interfaces. What do you think?

Greetings,
Dirk