Re: [css-transforms] matrix interpolation

On Feb 28, 2014, at 10:36 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a coincidence, I just wrote to this mailing list to make the same complaint and suggestion,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-fx/2014JanMar/0084.html
>
> I've put up a demo underlining the problems with the current spec's mandated interpolation algorithm, see here:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~bjacob/transform-animation-not-covariant.html
>
> From your web page:
> the CSS Transforms spec mandates matrix interpolation to be performed is not coordinate-independent, i.e. isn't an interpolation of just the geometric transformations but rather an interpolation of quantities that depend on the coordinate system,
>
> That is not corrrect. Interpolation happens on the specified transform functions. see: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/#interpolation-of-transforms
> Matrix interpolation will only happen if you specify a matrix which will happen very rarely or if there's a mismatch of transform functions (which is likely a user error)
>
> The excerpt of my page which you quote above does say that the spec mandates _matrix_ interpolation to be performed in this way; given the presense of the word "matrix" here, I don't see how to make this sentence more clear, but would welcome suggestions.
>
> the following snippet is confusing:
> "an interpolation of quantities that depend on the coordinate system"
>
> It implies that it's the current transformation matrix (which is the concatenation of all transform upto that point) that is interpolated.

The current transformation matrix is just the transformation from the elements coordinate space to the parent element coordinate space, not the concatenation of all transforms. Or do you mean all transforms of the current transform function list of the current element? That would be correct.

Greetings,
Dirk