Re: [css-transforms] matrix interpolation

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@gmail.com

>>> From your web page:
>>>
>>> the CSS Transforms spec<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/#matrix-interpolation>mandates matrix interpolation to be performed is not
>>> coordinate-independent, i.e. isn't an interpolation of just the geometric
>>> transformations but rather an interpolation of quantities that depend on
>>> the coordinate system,
>>>

>>> That is not corrrect. Interpolation happens on the specified transform
>>> functions. see:
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/#interpolation-of-transforms
>>> Matrix interpolation will only happen if you specify a matrix which will
>>> happen very rarely or if there's a mismatch of transform functions (which
>>> is likely a user error)
>>>

>> The excerpt of my page which you quote above does say that the spec
>> mandates _matrix_ interpolation to be performed in this way; given the
>> presense of the word "matrix" here, I don't see how to make this sentence
>> more clear, but would welcome suggestions.
>>

> the following snippet is confusing:
>
> "an interpolation of quantities that depend on the coordinate system"
>

> It implies that it's the current transformation matrix (which is the
> concatenation of all transform upto that point) that is interpolated.
> Is that what you mean?

Yes, and so yes my complaint is specific to matrix interpolation.

>>  - 2. I don't believe that a "mismatch" of transformations is likely to
>> be a user error; it is reasonable for authors to wish to interpolate
>> between two arbitrary transforms without having to worry about how to
>> specify them both as the same sequence of elementary transforms;
>>
> That the spec requires storing a list of primitive transforms and
>> interpolating,
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/#interpolation-of-transforms , is
>> actually the next aspect of the spec that I would like to question. For one
>> thing, it means that the interpolation depends not only on the geometric
>> transformations at hand, but really depends on how these geometric
>> transformations are specified as particular choices of lists of primitive
>> transformations. I would like the interpolation to only depend on the
>> geometric transformations, not on any abstract consideration of how
>> transformations are specified.
>>

> No, the transform functions should not be collapsed into a single matrix.
> Take for instance:
>
> #b { transform: scale(.1, 1) rotate(0);}
> #b:hover { transform: scale(1) rotate(90deg);}
>

> By collapsing this into a matrix, you would lose the fact that the scale
> happens first, followed by a rotate. [1]
> The polar decomposition always assumes that rotate happens first, followed
> by a scale.

[ Side note: There is 1 bit of freedom in polar decomposition: you can
decompose into Rotation*Scaling or into Scaling*Rotation. In the present
discussion, let's say that a polar decomposition interpolation
implementation has settled on Rotation*Scaling, as assumed in your above
sentence. ]

Let's say that you have a scaling, S, and a rotation, R.

You take the product S*R as above, and ask, what is its polar decomposition
as Rotation*Scaling?

It goes like this. Let Rt denote the transpose of R, which is also the
inverse of R since R is a rotation, so we have R*Rt == Rt*R == Identity, so

S * R
  = Identity * S * R
  = (R * Rt) * S * R
  = R * (Rt * S * R)

Let T = Rt * S * R. We then have:

S * R = R * T       (1)

and notice that T is just S conjugated by R i.e. T is a scaling, namely the
scaling obtained by taking S and applying the rotation Rt to its scaling
axes.

That equation (1) is the polar decomposition of S * R.

In other words, polar decomposition should work nicely with transformations
of the form scaling * rotation.

But, see my previous email, I am no longer advocating for matrix
interpolation as the only interpolation that we ever need, because I've
been convinced offline that there is a world out there that relies on
specific interpolation behavior that is not achievable by polar
decomposition interpolation, such as interpolating skews intuitively.

Benoit