Re: [css-images][css-compositing] Blurring an element’s backdrop

The Windows 7 Aero environment effect for a backdrop is not blurring but
diffusing. This is used by special camera lenses that are called
diffusion filters [3] which causes light scattering [4]. The blur
effects that are used in graphic arts programs emulate this diffusion
effect and call it blurring [5].

   | The visual effect of this blurring technique is a
   | smooth blur resembling that of viewing the image
   | through a translucent screen.

The effect can be achieved now but controversially (due to security
issues) by way of using element(). Please view in Firefox.

http://css-class.com/test/css/3/image/blurred-diffused-backdrop.htm

This could have been done easier if Firefox supported 'filter: blur()'
which could have been applied to a hidden referenced element and used as
the first layer or final layer in background-image (depending on the
construction).

On 6/12/2013 3:42 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> In going with Lea's comment that authors equate backdrop with blending, I
> propose the following new property:
>
> backdrop-blur: none | <length>
>
> Length would be the parameter passed into the blur() filter [1].

The property 'backdrop-blur' can *not* be allowed to create a stacking
context since this would effect the painting order. For each box
(inline-level and block-level), you would want to paint the
'backdrop-blur' as the final painting layer of an element.

Like so (from bottom to top in painting order):

   1. backdrop-blur of element.

   2. box-shadow of element.

   3. background color of element.

   4. background image of element.

   5. border of element.

It's only in §7.2.3 of the editors draft of 'CSS Backgrounds and Borders
Module Level 3' that this painting is finally in the spec [6] .

   | Shadows do not influence layout and may overlap
   | other boxes or their shadows.

A demo of the painting order is found here [7].

> Specifying this parameter in combination with mix-blend-mode[2], would blur
> the backdrop that is available during the blending step. Compositing would
> happen as usual.

How? Doesn't mix-blend-mode caused blending and doesn't blending create
a stacking context or am I confusing creating a stacking context with
isolation.

> An alternate would be to extend mix-blend-mode so you can write the
> following:
>
> mix-blend-mode: screen blur(10px);

I thinking it would be confusing since mix-blend-mode acts of the
element itself and not it's backdrop.

I still do not know the difference between 'mix-blend-mode',
'background-blend-mode' or 'isolation' but I'm still learning the
wonders of SVG.

> This can still be made compatible with future additions that target parts
> of an element.
>
> I'm in the process of creating an experimental windows-only build of
> firefox that implements.
>
> Thoughts?

Can 'backdrop-blur' be simply 'backdrop' since there are other effects
that are not a simple blur.

backdrop: none | blur(<length>) | ?

These are similar to what I find in my simple graphic arts program that
has charcoal, chrome, colored edges (without any blurring) which are
granular in appearance. Another effect could be feedback.

Can blur itself be magnified and can the x and y offsets be of different
values?

> 1: http://www.w3.org/TR/filter-effects/#funcdef-blur
> 2: http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/compositing-1/#mix-blend-mode
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_filter