Re: [css-compositing] test suite for grouping

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:31 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't want to guarantee that the Gecko
>> test results won't change in the future. We need to be able to change
>> grouping to adjust our optimizations.
>>
>> To make this specification successful, we need to agree on some rules
>> about grouping.
>

> Which means that these features may severely constrain browser
> optimizations in the future. And that means we have to consider whether
> it's worth having the features as currently designed.

If there is no blending, the browser can do whatever it wants (as it
currently does). Only when there's blending should it do something special.

> Maybe we could make progress if we introduced a CSS property that forces
> its element to be a group and stacking context, *and* forces all its
> children to be groups and stacking contexts, and then we say that
> blending/compositing only works on those children, and that only the
> siblings of a blended-composited element can be part of the background that
> we blend/composite into.

That seems like it would introduce a lot of overhead. Why not simply list
the cases where we want grouping and implement that.
As some testcases point out, we might even want a group within an element
so solving things with just stacking contexts won't work.