Re: [css-compositing][css4-backgrounds] Updated to the blending and compositing

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> +www-style
>
> On Dec 16, 2012, at 8:05 PM, "Rik Cabanier" <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

>> part of the element you want to blend.
>> those users will have to write either 2 css properties or put 'element' in
>> the shorthand.
>> >
>> > It doesn’t :) `element` would just be the initial value for
>> `mix-blend-area`, just like `normal` is for `mix-blend-mode`. I guess I
>> should’ve mentioned that, but I assumed it was obvious. Mea culpa. :)
>> >
>> > Ah! That makes sense.
>>
>> This wouldn't make it possible to blend at least multiple background
>> images, right? This would be an interesting use case IMO (e.g water mark
>> with a logo).
>

> I agree that it would be very useful (and probably easy to implement).
> However, I think that one should be in backgrounds and borders with a
> reference to the blending spec.
>

> The first questions should be if and how.

There is a level 4 draft: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-background/
I'm unsure of its state so I can't tell if blending and compositing in the
background is something that the editors want to tackle.

FYI Compositing has already been implemented in Webkit for several years
with the webkit-background-composite property.