Re: Updated to the blending and compositing spec (was: minutes, December 10 2012, FXTF telcon)

This change sacrifices the previous flexibility with no obvious benefit for authors. The only one that benefits from this change is implementors. It doesn’t make the feature any easier to use or more elegant, nor does it simplify the additions to the language. With the previous design, the syntax would still be exactly the same, if all you wanted was to apply the same blending mode to all shadows/backgrounds/etc, due to the way CSS lists work.

The whole reason I suggested dropping that kind of flexibility was to avoid adding all these properties in the first place. I.e. if each "layer" of the element can only have one blending mode as a whole, then which blending modes apply to which parts of the element can be controlled by a single CSS property that accepts a comma separated list of identifiers (properties and some keyword that means the entire element) that correspond to a comma separated list of blending modes from mix-blend-mode.

Lea Verou
W3C developer relations
http://w3.org/people/all#leahttp://lea.verou.me ✿ @leaverou