Re: [filters] Shading language recommendation

On 22/08/2012, at 2:52 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> The normative prose of section 38.2 'Recommended shading language' recommends
> GL SL ES [1]. Per RFC2119 this means implementers MUST support GL SL ES
> unless there exist 'valid reasons in particular circumstances' to ignore this
> recommendation.
>
> While Microsoft has no objection to defining how the feature works for UAs
> that choose GL SL ES as defined by Web GL 1.0, we object to its normative
> recommendation.

Can you explain why you object? You mention below what you'd prefer, but don't
provide reasoning.

The informative section related to media codecs is there because there are
well-known IP issues around that technology. As far as I am aware, this does
not apply in the case of shading languages.

Also, don't you (Microsoft) agree there is a significant penalty if we don't require
a single shading language? What is it in particular about GLSL that you object
to?

Dean