Re: [Filter Effects][css3-transforms] Using MathML for formulas

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does it matter if it's code that only the author understands? It's obviously
> working well enough for Wikipedia to create formulas and they have much more
> complex math than us.
> It seems that we would have to do quite a bit of work ourselves (including
> learning LaTex) instead of just using texvc.

I think you're misunderstanding what texvc does -- it basically does
nothing but parse the input, make sure it looks like valid LaTeX with
all commands on its internal whitelist, wraps it in some boilerplate,
and then shells out to latex.  Pretty much any valid texvc input is
already valid LaTeX, give or take some macros that texvc recognizes
and missing boilerplate that it adds.  Everything you're entering into
Wikipedia's <math> tags *is* LaTeX.  So there's not much gained by not
just using LaTeX.  The effort of trying to get texvc set up in a
non-MediaWiki environment would likely be more than just learning how
to add the extra boilerplate LaTeX will want.

Also, if all you want is a few PNGs, you can just enter the code in
Wikipedia, preview, and save the PNG.  That's the easiest way.

(Former MediaWiki developer here, BTW.  :) )