Re: [css-shaders] GLSL implementation defined limits

And so the question is, where did they fail? I assume they failed somewhere in the compile/link cycle, in which case an @supports type of scheme where an alternative can be selected after such failures, would work, right?

> Some example of platform dependent limits:
>
> *) Max Instructions for a shader. Low-end hardware can be as low as 96 instructions, high end hardware is currently around 32k instructions
> *) Max textures you can references in a vertex shader. Low-end limit is 0, high end is 32
> *) Max textures you can reference period. Low-end is 8, high end is 32
> *) Max precision. "highp" is optional
> *) ...
>
> It's also arguably impossible to know how many instructions a given shader will take. Some drivers may optimize better than others. Some WebGL implementations may re-write the shader to work around bugs in drivers. You could choose some even smaller limit like 64 instructions and then hope that was enough wiggle room for workarounds. You could also require higher end hardware with higher limits before allowing CSS shaders to function. Otherwise you probably need a way for devs to check for failure.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com