Re: [css-shaders] Exploring JS shaders

Here's an example someone wrote showing how Web Workers can be used with
bitmaps:
http://code.google.com/p/chromabrush/source/browse/frontend/js/filter.blur.js

That arguments and return would have to be tweaked a little, but it
shows the concept.
In practice, we'd want to transfer ArrayBuffer objects using the
structured clone algorithm.

For what it's worth, someone went and implemented a GLSL parser (a whole
WebGL implementation) in JS for Canvas 2d: http://code.google.com/p/cwebgl/

CWebGL is from Cimaron Shanahan, MIT License.

The Chromabrush blur filter is from Arne Roomann-Kurrik, Apache License 2.0

CWebGL demonstrates that JS can parse and run GLSL vector and pixel
shaders -- both the format and the function. The filter.blur
demonstration shows how we normally handle off-thread pixel shaders in
JS, for Canvas 2d.

The RiverTrail and W16 projects demonstrate that tight for loops written
in JS can be run over multiple (cpu) cores.

An Aside:

It'd be nice if we didn't -have- to have a GLSL filter and a JS filter
for everything we do... For performance, we have GLSL, for compatibility
(and flexibility) we have JS; we duplicate our shaders. I've gone so far
as to toy with HaXe (haxe.org) and its macro features to write my
shaders once and get source code spit out for them in several languages.

-Charles