Re: [css3-images] Defining SVG paint servers as a CSS <image>

I don't think that using SVGPaintServers is the right thing to go. We already have support for colors, linear gradients and radial gradients (even with spread method) in CSS. The only part that SVGPaintServers could give you is  SVGPattern. And we had some proposals in this thread already. I like -moz-element a lot for instance.

But it would be really interesting to have your other proposal:

<rect fill="linear-gradient(90deg, red, green 25px, blue)" width="100" height="100" />

Defining a gradient in a Style sheet and use it in an HTML document as well as in an SVG document sounds like a great idea for me.

Dirk