Re: [css21][css3][svg] SVG and unit-less length values

On 7/7/10 8:02 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> Pretty easy is good. Let's just say bringing up this issue internally
> and externally has caused much surprise and some level of dismay. Authors,
> in particular, find this confusing.

Yes, I can see that.

> My main goal here is to try and reduce
> that surprise. I also would like to be very clear on where this exception
> applies; I don't think the prose above is quite there i.e. does SVG-specific
> mean an SVG property applying to an SVG node so that it would be ignored and
> thus wouldn't show in the OM of a non-SVG node ?

I believe it means "properties that are defined by the SVG specification
but not the CSS specification".  But yes, clarifying this might be good.

> Not just that. If a CSS3 or 4 module defines a new feature that is
> intended to also apply to SVG documents - e.g. transitions - it must make
> sure to not use the line-height or columns property pattern where both
> numbers and lengths can be set as value.

Why?  Given the quoted SVG spec text, and assuming that name collisions
are avoided and that the SVG spec refers to future CSS specs the same
way as it does to CSS2 right now, what issues would it cause?

There's the separate point that the pattern is confusing to authors to
start with, of course, but that has nothing to do with SVG...

-Boris